Yeah, I finally got around to reorganizing the kitchen drawer with all the random utensils last night. It took longer than expected because I kept finding those small clips that don't seem to match anything. I ended up putting them in a glass jar on the counter for now, even though it looks a little cluttered. My neighbor stopped by earlier to ask if I had any spare extension cord, so I lent him the short orange one. He was trying to set up a fan in his garage because it gets too warm in the afternoon. We chatted about how the weather has been shifting between cool mornings and sudden sunny spells. I mentioned the bird feeder keeps swinging in the wind, and he suggested tightening the top loop with a different knot. After he left, I made a quick salad with cucumbers and herbs from the back step planter. The mint is growing really wild this season, so I trimmed a bunch back. Now the whole living room smells like mint and clean laundry, which is a strange but decent combination. Later I plan to sort through a stack of magazines that have been on the chair for weeks. Nothing urgent, just clearing space.
I also found an old pair of shoelaces in the back of a closet while looking for a screwdriver. They're bright yellow, which I completely forgot about. Might use them on my walking shoes if they fit. Do you remember those little puzzle books we used to pass around during lunch breaks? I saw one in a second-hand store last week and almost picked it up. It had a bent corner and missing first page, so I left it behind. Instead I bought a ceramic dish shaped like a leaf, but it's too shallow for soup. Now it holds paperclips near the front door. The whole afternoon had that slow, easy pace where you keep finding small things to fix. I think the creaky hinge on the bathroom cabinet is next. The screws are probably just loose again. Anyway, tomorrow I'll maybe move the bookshelf a few inches left to balance the wall space.
I also found an old pair of shoelaces in the back of a closet while looking for a screwdriver. They're bright yellow, which I completely forgot about. Might use them on my walking shoes if they fit. Do you remember those little puzzle books we used to pass around during lunch breaks? I saw one in a second-hand store last week and almost picked it up. It had a bent corner and missing first page, so I left it behind. Instead I bought a ceramic dish shaped like a leaf, but it's too shallow for soup. Now it holds paperclips near the front door. The whole afternoon had that slow, easy pace where you keep finding small things to fix. I think the creaky hinge on the bathroom cabinet is next. The screws are probably just loose again. Anyway, tomorrow I'll maybe move the bookshelf a few inches left to balance the wall space.
|
I was just about to water the plants when I remembered the smell from the basement. Turns out a towel got left near the small window during that rain last week. Not a big deal, just had to run it through the washer again. Also, I moved the blue chair to the other side of the room so the afternoon light doesn't hit the screen while I'm reading. The cat spends most of the morning on the rug near the door now, which is new. I think she likes the cooler floor there. Do you ever notice how the hallway echoes more when the humidity drops? It's subtle but strange. I put a small radio on the shelf and played the oldies station while folding laundry. The host had a long segment about community gardens and how people name their tomato plants. One caller named hers after a retired librarian, which got a good laugh. After that I rinsed out some glass jars, dried them on the rack, and stacked them by size. There's something satisfying about matching lids to containers. Later I walked to the corner to drop off a book in the little free library box. Someone left a thriller with no back cover, but I didn't take it. I'm trying to keep only what I'll actually read. Anyway, the evening should be quiet. I might make tea and do the crossword.
Did I mention I found a spare phone charger behind the couch? It was wrapped around a paperback. I tested it and it still works, so I put it in the drawer with the other cables. The drawer is getting full again, but at least they're all in one place. I also traded a few bulbs in the lamp near the window, and the room feels brighter now. That little change makes a bigger difference than I expected. The tablecloth got a spot from the plant water, so it's soaking in the sink. I'll rinse it tomorrow and hang it over the chair outside. The forecast says dry and warm, so it should be fine. While outside, I noticed the neighbors finally fixed their gate. It used to creak every time the wind blew. Now it's quiet, and honestly I kind of miss the sound. Funny how you get used to small things. The yard has a few dry patches from the sun, but nothing serious. I'll move the sprinkler to the far corner after breakfast.
Did I mention I found a spare phone charger behind the couch? It was wrapped around a paperback. I tested it and it still works, so I put it in the drawer with the other cables. The drawer is getting full again, but at least they're all in one place. I also traded a few bulbs in the lamp near the window, and the room feels brighter now. That little change makes a bigger difference than I expected. The tablecloth got a spot from the plant water, so it's soaking in the sink. I'll rinse it tomorrow and hang it over the chair outside. The forecast says dry and warm, so it should be fine. While outside, I noticed the neighbors finally fixed their gate. It used to creak every time the wind blew. Now it's quiet, and honestly I kind of miss the sound. Funny how you get used to small things. The yard has a few dry patches from the sun, but nothing serious. I'll move the sprinkler to the far corner after breakfast.


